A Family History Day
Annual General Meeting
took place on
Saturday 14th April 2007
Cobham Hall was owned by a number of families - the de Cobhams (13th-14th centuries), Brooke (Barons Cobham) until 1603, then the Stuarts (Earls of Lennox & Richmond), and since the early 18th century the Bligh family (Earls of Darnley). The building is a fine late-Elizabethan mansion of red brick erected by William Brooke, 10th Lord Cobham, with later additions in the same style. It was sold by the Darnleys in 1957 and since 1962 has been a girl's school.
This was our Society's 29th anniversary. Here is the programme for the day, with a brief report on the AGM:
|10.00am||Welcome and notices|
|10.15am||"A Tour of Cobham Hall" - a talk and video by Sylvia and Charles Hammond. This covered the history of the house and of its many owners.|
|11.30am||Raffle draw, comfort break, refreshments and browse.|
|11.45am||Annual General Meeting|
The AGM was attended by at least 133 people, the main items were as follows:
The AGM sub-committee chaired by Stella Rhys were thanked for their hard work in organising the day's events. The other sub-committee members were Ron Anthony, Barbara Attwaters, Barbara Phillips, Janet Rose and Rosemary Shiret.
|2.00pm||Choice of the following:
Some of the afternoon's events are illustrated by these photographs. If you took any yourself and would like them added, please email them to the webmaster.
|Daffodils in Cobham Park||St Mary's church, Cobham|
|Cobham College, originally founded 1362 and
re-founded as almshouses in 1598
|Cobham College quadrangle - members are treated to a guided tour|
|Members are shown the famous Cobham brasses; several of the medieval owners of Cobham Hall are commemorated here||The churchyard|