Beckenham

OS Grid Reference: TQ3769
The 1841 population was 1,608

"Beckenham is a village and parish, in the same hundred and lathe as Bromley, two miles west from that town, pleasantly situated near to the Croydon canal. the village contains some very neat dwelling houses, and in the neighbourhood are many handsome villas.... The church, which is dedicated to St George, is a neat structure, erected about the beginning of the 17th century; the living is a rectory, in the patronage of John Cator, Esq. The charities are and endowed school, now conducted upon the national system; three almshouses, erected in 1694, and the interest of 1,100, bequeathed by Lady Exeter in 1837, to be alid out in the purchase of coals for the poor of the parish."  Pigot's Directory, 1839

Placename Origin

Beckenham = Beohha's settlement. OE Beohhan ham

Administrative Units

Beckenham fell within the Hundred of Bromley & Beckenham. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Bromley.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, PCC 1846-57.

Beckenham included the settlement of Shortlands.

Census Publications

  • 1851 Name Index and Page Images published on CD-Rom as part of CD7 (Bromley Registration District).
  • 1851 Name Index (only) published on microfiche as part of Volume I (Bromley Registration District).
  • 1891 Transcript published on CD-Rom as part of CD2 (Bromley Registration District).

For ordering details see Census Publications.

Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)

Church of England

  1. St George (Ancient Parish church) 
  2. Shortlands, St Mary 
  3. Christchurch: Fairfield Rd.  Church built 1876; parish created 1878 from Beckenham St George.   Original registers from 1875.
  4. Holy Trinity: Lennard Rd.  (Formerly 'Penge Lane'). Church built 1878; parish created 1878 from Beckenham St George.   Original registers from 1869.
  5. St Barnabas: Oakhill Rd.  Church built 1878/84, replacing iron church; parish created 1877 from Beckenham St George.   Original registers from 1877.
  6. Elmers End, St James: St James's Ave.  Church built 1879-88; parish created 1879 from Beckenham St George.   Original registers from 1888.
  7. New Beckenham, St Paul: Brackley Rd.  Church built & parish created 1872 from Beckenham St George.   Original registers from 1873.
  8. St Michael & All Angels: Birkbeck Estate (Ravenscroft Rd).  Church built 1899-1906, succeeding 1877 iron church; Destroyed 1944 and rebuilt 1955-6; parish created 1907 from Beckenham St George.   Original registers from 1891.
  9. Alexandra: Mission church. No information on registers

Baptist

  • Baptist: Elm Rd.  Built 1889. No information on registers

Independent/Congregational

  • Congregational: Crescent Rd.  Built 1887-8. No information on registers

Wesleyan/Methodist

  • Wesleyan: Bromley Rd.  Built 1887. No information on registers
West Kent map