OS Grid Reference: TQ6741
The 1841 population was 2,472
"Brenchley is a village and parish in the lathe of Aylesford, and with Horsmonden gives name to the hundred in which it is located; the village, situated about four miles north from Lamberhurst, is a place of consequence only in an agricultural point of view. The parish is extensive, and contains besides its own village, the hamlet of Matfield, about a mile and a half distant, where there is a chapel for dissenters. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a fine old structure of stone, with a lofty square tower; the benefice is a vicarage, in the presentation of the Courthope family." Pigot's Directory
Brenchley fell within the Hundred of Brenchley & Horsmonden. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Tonbridge.
Brenchley included the hamlets of Paddock Wood and Matfield.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England
For project purposes this parish is covered by Kent FHS.