OS Grid Reference: TQ7567
The 1841 population was 19,489
Chatham fell within the Hundred of Chatham & Gillingham. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Medway.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester.
Chatham included the hamlet of Luton.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England
- St Mary (Ancient Parish church) Dock Rd.
- Luton, Christchurch: Luton Rd. Church built 1884, replacing 1843 building; parish created 1842 from Chatham St Mary. Original registers from 1852.
- St John the Divine: Church built 1821-2; parish created 1852 from Chatham St Mary, abolished 1964. Original registers from 1853.
- St Paul: New Rd. Church built 1853-5, redundant 1974 & demolished; parish created 1855 from Chatham St Mary. Original registers from 1855.
- Royal Dockyard Church: Original registers from 1867.
- Brompton, St Michael: Founded 1795, succeeded by Chatham 1863. Original registers from 1802.
- St Michael the Archangel: Hills Terrace. Church built 1862-3, formerly at Brompton. Original registers from 1802.
- Baptist: Heavyside Lane. (1700). Original registers from 1700.
- Baptist: Zion Chapel, Clover St. (1644). Original registers from 1814.
- Independent: Ebenezer Chapel, Clover St. (1662). Original registers from 1792.
- Jewish: (Existing 1760). No information on registers
- Bible Christian: Union St. (1815). Original registers from 1820.
For project purposes this parish is covered by Kent FHS.