OS Grid Reference: TQ4664
The 1841 population was 861
"Chelsfield is a small parish and village, consisting of a few scattered houses in a rural neighbourhood, 2 miles from Orpington, 8 from Sevenoaks, and 7½ from Bromley .... and is situated to the east of the high road from Sevenoaks to London. ... The living is a rectory, in the gift of All souls' College , Oxford, and diocese of Canterbury; the Rev. Follett Baugh, M.A., rector. The National School is partly supported by subscription and by weekly payments. The are of the parish is 3,280 acres, and the population, in 1851, was 878." 1852 directory
Chelsfield fell within the Hundred of Ruxley. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Bromley.
The town of Orpington now extends in the ancient parish of Chelsfield.
For ordering details see Census Publications.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England