OS Grid Reference: TQ4857
The 1841 population was 1,003
"Chevening is situated in the valley of the Darent, 22 miles from London, and 4 miles from Seven Oaks, in the Hundred of Codsheath, and Union of Seven Oaks, and containing 3,550 acres, assessed to the Property Tax at £6,162, and a population, in 1841, of 1,003. The hamlet of Chipstead is on the Darent. The place here situated and now the property of F.Perkins Esq, was held by one of the great family of Crevequer, in the reign of King John. The Earl Stanhope has also a noble mansion, and a beautiful and extensive park, laid out with great taste, which is at all times open to the public." 1852 directory
Chevening fell within the Hundred of Codsheath. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Sevenoaks.
The parish includes the villages of Chipstead (the main settlement in Chevening) and Bessels Green.
For ordering details see Census Publications.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England