Cowden

OS Grid Reference: TQ4640
The 1841 population was 695

"A village, 5 miles from Edenbridge station, 6 from East Grinstead, and 9 west from Tunbridge Wells, lies on the confines of the county, adjoining Sussex, from which it is parted by a stream of the Medway. It is in the Hundreds of Somerden and Westerham, lathe of Sutton at Hone, and Union of Sevenoaks, containing 3,232 acres, and a population of 695. It is assessed to the land tax at 163 14s; assessed taxes, 127 18s 9d; ad Property Tax, 2,684 10s 8d. The church, to the east of the village, is a small ancient building, dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, with a handsome spire. ... The living is a rectory, values in the Kiong's Books 9 18s 11d; net income 347; patron and incumbent the Rev Thomas Harvey, M.A. A pleasure fair is held on the 2nd of August. "  1852 directory

Administrative Units

Cowden fell within the Hundred of Somerden. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Sevenoaks.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, PCC 1846-57.

Census Publications

  • 1851 Name Index (only) published on microfiche as part of Volume VI (Sevenoaks Registration District).

For ordering details see Census Publications.

Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)

Church of England

West Kent map