OS Grid Reference: TQ5772
The 1841 population was 698
"Darenth ... takes its name from the river Darent, on the banks of which it is situated. It is an ancient village and parish, and was given by Athelstan to Duke Eadulf, who in 940 gave it to the church of Canterbury, which afterwards exchanged itvwith the chapter of Rochester, to whom it still belongs. It is in Axton and Dartford Hundred, Dartford Union, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, West Kent, 2.75 miles from Dartford south-east, 7 from Gravesendsouth-west, and 20 from London. The area of the parish is 2,189 acres; the soil is light and rather flinty. The population, in 1851, was 654. ... The living is a vicarage, valued at 346, and 6 acres of glebe land, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester ; the Rev. John Eveleigh incumbent. Here is a National school and a Wesleyan chapel. On the river are paper mills. A considerable part of the population is at South Darenth, 1 mile south, which is partly in Horton Kirby parish." 1852?
Darenth fell within the Hundred of Axtane. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Dartford.
For ordering details see Census Publications.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England