OS Grid Reference: TQ4274
The 1841 population was 2,310
Eltham fell within the Hundred of Blackheath. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Lewisham.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, London 1846-57.
Eltham included the hamlet of Mottingham (separate civil parish 1866) and part of Shooters Hill.
- 1851 Name Index (only) published on microfiche as part of Volume IV (Lewisham Registration District).
- 1891 Transcript published on CD-Rom as part of CD4 (Lewisham Registration District).
For ordering details see Census Publications.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England
- St John the Baptist (Ancient Parish church)
- Shooters Hill, Christ Church: Church built 1855-6; parish created 1865 from Plumstead, Eltham, Woolwich. Original registers from 1856.
- Holy Trinity Southend Crescent.
- St Peter: Courtland Ave. Church built 1870-1, closed 1937, demolished 1961. Parish created 1871 from Eltham St John, united 1960 with Lee The Good Shepherd. Original registers from 1871.
- Mottingham, St Andrew Court Rd.
- New Eltham, All Saints Bercta Rd (off Foots Cray Rd).
- St Mary: High St. Church built 1890, superseded by Christchurch 1912. Original registers from 1871.
- Congregational: High St. (1839). No information on registers
- Congregational: Mission, Foots Cray Rd, New Eltham. (1875-1930). No information on registers
- Congregational: Well Hall Rd. (1867-1935 demolished). No information on registers
- Bible Christian: Elizabeth Terrace. (1841-81). No information on registers
- Bible Christian: Park Place. (1881-c.1961). No information on registers