OS Grid Reference: TQ7868
The 1841 population was 7,881
Gillingham fell within the Hundred of Chatham & Gillingham. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Medway.
Probate Jurisdiction was Shoreham -1845, Rochester 1846-57.
Gillingham included the settlements of Brompton and Lidsing.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England
- St Mary Magdalen (Ancient Parish church)
- Old Brompton, Holy Trinity: Church built 1848, demolished c1955; parish created 1847 from Gillingham St Mary & Chatham St. Mary. Original registers from 1848.
- New Brompton, St Mark: Canterbury St. Church built 1864-6, replacing wood building (1862); parish created 1863 from Gillingham St Mary. Original registers from 1863.
- New Brompton, St Barnabas: Nelson Rd. Church built 1889-90, succeeding mission of 1886; parish created 1892 from Gillingham St Mary & New Brompton St Mark. Original registers from 1873.
- Lidsing: Chapelry within Gillingham St Mary. Original registers from 1840.
- Old Brompton, St Paulinus: Manor St. (1793). Original registers from 1893.
- Wesleyan: Nelson St. (1827). Original registers from 1816.
- Wesleyan: Manner St, Brompton. Original registers from 1796.
For project purposes this parish is covered by Kent FHS.