OS Grid Reference: TQ6574
The 1841 population was 6,414
Gravesend fell within the Hundred of Toltingtrough. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Gravesend & Milton.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester.
The town of Gravesend extended into Milton parish, which was united to it in 1915.
Denton parish was also incorporated into Gravesend in 1935.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England
- St George (Ancient Parish church)
- St James: New Rd. Church built 1851, demolished 1968; parish created 1852 from Gravesend St George. Original registers from 1852.
Parish Register transcript published by Rob Cottrell (Microfiche Ref. C9) See Thames & Medway Riverside Parish Register Publications.
- St Luke: Mission church of St James., Wrotham Rd. Church built 1890, used until WWII, demolished c1967. No information on registers
- St John the Evangelist: Milton Rd. Church built 1834 as C of E chapel, R/Catholic from 1851. Original registers from 1840.
- Independent: Princes St. Original registers from 1762.
- Congregational: Princes St. (1689,1717-1953, demolished 1961). Original registers from 1837.
- Methodist: Milton St. (1771). No information on registers
- Primitive Methodist: Darnley St. Original registers from 1863.
- Salvation Army: New Rd. Built 1883, demolished 1968. No information on registers
For project purposes this parish is covered by Kent FHS.