OS Grid Reference: TQ3877
The 1841 population was 29,755
Greenwich fell within the Hundred of Blackheath. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Greenwich.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, London 1846-57.
- 1851 Name Index and Page Images published on CD-Rom as part of CD6 (Greenwich parish).
- 1851 Name Index (only) published on microfiche as part of Volume VII (Greenwich parish).
For ordering details see Census Publications.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England
- St Alphege (Ancient Parish church) Greenwich High Rd. (map ref A)
- St Mary: King William Walk. Church built 1823 as chapel of ease to St Alphege. Closed 1919 and demolished 1936. No separate registers
- Christ Church: Trafalgar Rd. (map ref B) Church built 1846-48; parish created 1840 from Greenwich St Alphege. Original registers from 1868.
Parish Register transcript published by Rob Cottrell (Microfiche Ref. C1,C2) See Thames & Medway Riverside Parish Register Publications.
- St Paul Devonshire Drive. (map ref C)
- St Peter: Bridge St. (map ref D) Church built 1866, bombed 1941, demolished 1955; parish created 1867 from Greenwich St Paul, merged with St Alphege 1951. Original registers from 1866.
Parish Register transcript published by Rob Cottrell (Microfiche Ref. C71) See Thames & Medway Riverside Parish Register Publications.
- Westcombe Park, St George Kirkside Rd. (map ref E)
- St Andrew with St Michael: Dreadnought St. (map ref F) Church built 1900-02, closed 1965, demolished c1986; parish created from Greenwich Christchurch 1902. Original registers from 1872.
Parish Register transcript published by Rob Cottrell (Microfiche Ref. C61) See Thames & Medway Riverside Parish Register Publications.
- Blackheath, Holy Trinity: Blackheath Hill. (map ref G) Church built 1839, now demolished; parish created 1849, refounded 1858 from Greenwich St Alphege. Original registers from 1868.
- Blackheath, St John the Evangelist St John's Park. (map ref H)
- Emmanuel: Mission church. Original registers from 1888.
- St Andrew: Mission church. [Predecessor of St Andrew with St Michael?]. Original registers from 1880.
- Royal Naval Asylum: Original registers from 1822.
- Our Ladye Star of the Sea Crooms Hill.
- St Joseph: Pelton Rd. Church built 1881. Original registers from 1906.
- Independent: Greenwich Rd. (1776). Original registers from 1777.
- Independent: Maze Hill chapel, formerly Bethel. (1823). Original registers from 1811.
- Wesleyan: George St. (1816). Original registers from 1821.
- Wesleyan: London St. Original registers from 1865.
- Wesleyan: Royal Hospital and School. Original registers from 1821.
For project purposes this parish is also covered by Woolwich & District FHS.