Plumstead fell within the Hundred of Little & Lessness. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Lewisham -1868, Woolwich 1868-.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, London 1846-57.
Plumstead included parts of Shooters Hill and Abbey Wood.
- 1851 Name Index (only) published on microfiche as part of Volume IV (Lewisham Registration District).
For ordering details see Census Publications.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England
- St Nicholas (Ancient Parish church) (map ref A)
- St Margaret: Vicarage Rd. (map ref B) Church built 1858-9, demolished 1974; parish created 1864 from St Nicholas. Original registers from 1859.
- Shooters Hill, All Saints: Ripon Rd. (map ref C) Church built 1873-5, bombed 1944, rebuilt 1956; parish created 1876 from Plumstead. Original registers from 1876.
- St James Burrage Rd. (map ref D)
- St John the Baptist: Earl Rise / Robert St. (map ref E) Church built 1883-4, destroyed 1941, demolished 1959; parish created 1885 from Plumstead St Nicholas, united 1953 with St James. Original registers from 1882.
- St Paul: Hector St. (map ref F) Church built 1901, became St Patrick R/Catholic 1968; parish created 1902 [from St Nicholas?]. Original registers from 1901.
- Plumstead Common, St Mark: Old Mill Rd. Church built 1901, demolished 1972; parish created 1903 from St Nicholas & St Margaret (too late to be shown on map), abolished 1968. Original registers from 1897.
- St Patrick: Griffin Rd. Church built 1893, converted to school hall 1970; succeeded by redundant St Pauls C of E church (Hector St). Original registers from 1893.
- Baptist: Conduit Rd. (1865-1969). No information on registers
- Baptist: Plumstead Tabernacle, Maxey Rd. (1861-1930 demolished). No information on registers
- Baptist: Union Church, Park Rd. (1885-1954). No information on registers
For project purposes this parish is also covered by Woolwich & District FHS.