Roman Catholic Churches

West Kent foundations before 1900

 

West Kent map

Bromley

St Joseph, Plaistow Lane. Built 1911, succeeding iron church (Freelands, 1892).   Original registers from 1888.

Charlton

Our Lady of Grace, Charlton Rd.   Original registers from 1903.

Chatham

  1. Brompton, St Michael. Founded 1795, succeeded by Chatham 1863.   Original registers from 1802.
  2. St Michael the Archangel, Hills Terrace. Church built 1862-3, formerly at Brompton.   Original registers from 1802.

Chislehurst

St Mary, Hawkwood Lane. Church built 1854.   Original registers from 1855.   No information on registers

Memorial inscriptions: Transcript published by NWKFHS (Microfiche Ref. F26) See MI Publications.

Crayford

St Mary of the Crays, Old Rd. Church built 1842, demolished 1974 following erection of new church.   Original registers from 1840.

Dartford

St Anselm, West Hill. Mission opened 1866; church built 1900, demolished 1975 for Priory shopping centre; rebuilt 1973-5 on West Hill.   Original registers from 1866.

Deptford

Our Lady of the Assumption, High St. Church built 1844-6.   Original registers from 1842.

Eltham

St Mary, High St. Church built 1890, superseded by Christchurch 1912.   Original registers from 1871.

Erith

St Fidelis, West St. Church built 1870, chapel-of-ease since opening of Our Lady of the Angels 1903.   Original registers from 1870.

Gillingham

Old Brompton, St Paulinus, Manor St. (1793).   Original registers from 1893.

Gravesend

St John the Evangelist, Milton Rd. Church built 1834 as C of E chapel, R/Catholic from 1851.   Original registers from 1840.

Greenwich

  1. Our Ladye Star of the Sea, Crooms Hill. (1792) Church (re?)built 1851.   Original registers from 1793.
  2. St Joseph, Pelton Rd. Church built 1881.   Original registers from 1906.

Hayes

Our Lady of the Rosary.   No information on registers

Lewisham

  1. Lower Sydenham, Our Lady & St Philip Neri, Sydenham Rd. Iron church 1872; rebuilt 1881, destroyed 1940; rebuilt 1959.   Original registers from 1884.
  2. St Winifred, Effingham Road. (1892).   No information on registers
  3. Blackheath, St Mary, Cresswell Park. Built 1872 as orphanage with chapel open to public; closed 1904.   No information on registers
  4. Blackheath, Our Lady Help of Christians, Cresswell Park. Church built 1890-1.   Original registers from 1874.
  5. St Saviour, High St. (1894).   No information on registers

Meopham

St Paul.   Original registers from 1864.

Northfleet

Our Immaculate Mother & St Joseph. Church built 1867, superseded 1914 by Our Lady of the Assumption.   Original registers from 1866.

Orpington

Holy Innocents, Strickland Way.   Original registers from 1894.

Parish Register transcript published by NWKFHS (Microfiche Ref. F7) See Parish Register Publications.

Plumstead

St Patrick, Griffin Rd. Church built 1893, converted to school hall 1970; succeeded by redundant St Pauls C of E church (Hector St).   Original registers from 1893.

Sevenoaks

St Thomas of Canterbury, Granville Rd, formerly Holy Trinity. Built 1896, incorporating earlier chapel (Holy Trinity, 1880).   Original registers from 1880.

Shorne

St Katherine, Smith St. 14th century chapel, restored c1897 as a RC convent chapel.   Original registers from 1897.

St Mary Cray

St Joseph, High St. Church built 1873?, bombed 1941; current church completed 1959.   Original registers from 1875.

Stoke

St George, The Street. Built pre.1882, closed 1890, demolished c1960.   No separate registers, entries in Chatham

Swanscombe

Greenhithe, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, High St. (1859) Church (re?)built 1874, demolished 1973.   Original registers from 1866.

Tonbridge

  1. Corpus Christi, Lyons Crescent. Church built 1904, succeeding iron church of 1894.   Original registers from 1894.
  2. Tunbridge Wells, St Augustine, Grosvenor Rd. Church built 1837-8, campanile added 1889; demolished 1968 and new church built in Crescent Rd.   Original registers from 1837.

West Malling

St Thomas More.   No information on registers

Woolwich

St Peter, New Rd. (1815) Church (re?)built 1842-3.   Original registers from 1816.