OS Grid Reference: TQ5974
The 1841 population was 1,703
Swanscombe fell within the Hundred of Axtane. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Dartford.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester.
Swanscombe included the Thamesside village of Greenhithe.
- 1851 Name Index and Page Images published on CD-Rom as part of CD8 (Dartford Registration District).
- 1851 Name Index (only) published on microfiche as part of Volume V (Dartford Registration District).
- 1891 Transcript published on CD-Rom as part of CD3 (Dartford Registration District).
For ordering details see Census Publications.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England
- St Peter & St Paul (Ancient Parish church)
- Greenhithe, St Mary London Rd.
- All Saints Galley Hill.
- Greenhithe, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel: High St. (1859) Church (re?)built 1874, demolished 1973. Original registers from 1866.
- Congregational: High St, Greenhithe. (1819). No information on registers
- Congregational: Ingress Vale, Knockhall Lane, Greenhithe. (1860). No information on registers
- Wesleyan: Avenue Rd, Greenhithe. (1836). No information on registers
- Wesleyan: Galley Hill. (1884). No information on registers
- Methodist: Milton Rd. (1888). Original registers from 1888.