OS Grid Reference: TQ3865
The 1841 population was 651
"West Wickham is a large parish and village, pleasantly situated on the borders of Surrey, 3.5 miles south-west from Bromley, and 4 south-east from Croydon, in the Hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton at Hone, Union and County Court district of Bromley. The parish contained in 1851, 732 inhabitants and 2,645 acres of land. The church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, is an ancient building, consisting of a nave, chancel and south porch, with square embattled tower, and is in excellent repair. The living is a rectory, value 460, in the diocese of Canterbury, and patronage of Sir Charles Francis Farnaby, Bart., who is also Lord of the manor. The Rev. John Thomas Austen, M.A., is the incumbent. Here is a National school, supported by voluntary contributions, also a parochial lending library, and a charity of 3 annual value left by Lady Slade for apprenticing poor decayed tradesmen's sons, and payable .." 1852?
West Wickham fell within the Hundred of Ruxley. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Bromley.
For ordering details see Census Publications.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England