Woolwich fell within the Hundred of Blackheath. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Greenwich -1868, Woolwich 1868-.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, London 1846-57.
North Woolwich comprised two small detached parts of the parish, in Kent but north of the Thames (these were transferred to Greater London in 1965).
- 1851 Name Index (only) published on microfiche as part of Volume II (Woolwich parish).
For ordering details see Census Publications.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England
- St Mary Magdalene (Ancient Parish church) (map ref A)
- St John the Evangelist: Wellington St. (map ref B) Church built 1845, demolished 1948; separate parish created 1869 from Woolwich St Mary, abolished 1939.. Original registers from 1869.
- St Michael & All Angels: Borgard Rd. (map ref C) Church built 1875; parish created 1879 from Woolwich St Mary. No information on registers
- Holy Trinity: Rope Walk / Beresford Square. (map ref D) Built 1833 as Trinity Episcopal Chapel; chapel of ease 1850, closed 1960 & demolished 1962; parish created 1881 from Woolwich St. Mary, abolished 1953. Original registers from 1881.
- St Saviour: Mission church. Original registers from 1873.
- St Anne: Mission church, Ritter St. Original registers from 1904.
- Royal Arsenal and Dockyard Chapel: (1857). Original registers from 1873.
- St George Garrison Church: Church built 1863, destroyed 1944. No information on registers
- St Peter: New Rd. (1815) Church (re?)built 1842-3. Original registers from 1816.
- Baptist: Enon Chapel. (1754). Original registers from 1786.
- Baptist: Queen St. (1788). Original registers from 1781.
- Baptist: Carmel, Anglesea Rd. (1857-1908 closed). No information on registers
- Baptist: Parsons Hill. (1857-1901 sold). No information on registers
- Independent: Salem Chapel, Powis St. Original registers from 1796.
- Independent: Union Chapel, Church St. Original registers from 1819.
- Congregational: Rectory Place. (1858). No information on registers
- Presbyterian: New Rd. (1842). No information on registers
- Presbyterian: St Andrew, Anglesea Hill. Founded 1872, sold 1924. No information on registers
- Wesleyan: William St. (1816). Original registers from 1800.
- Wesleyan: Beresford St. (1840-99 sold). No information on registers
- Wesleyan: Sand St. (1844-82) later Baptist. No information on registers
- Wesleyan: Shooters Hill Chapel, Red Lion Lane. (1873-1902). No information on registers
- Wesleyan: Sutcliffe Rd. (1885-?). No information on registers
- Scots Church: Original registers from 1797.
Parish Register transcript published by Rob Cottrell (Microfiche Ref. C37) See Thames & Medway Riverside Parish Register Publications.
- Bible Christian: Zion, Upper Market St. (1828-87). No information on registers
For project purposes this parish is also covered by Woolwich & District FHS.