The 1841 population was 9,289
For project purposes this parish covered by Kent FHS.
Rochester fell within the Hundred of Chatham & Gillingham. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Medway.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester.
As well as its cathedral, Rochester originally comprised the three ancient parishes of St. Margaret, St. Nicholas and St. Clement. St. Nicholas and St. Clement were united in 1549.
Rochester also included the settlement of Borstal.
See NWKFHS publications West Kent Sources and School Records for further information.
Church and Chapels (pre 1910)
Church of England cont.
- St Peter: King St. Church built 1858-60, demolished 1973; parish created 1860 from Rochester St Nicholas. Original registers from 1860.
- Borstal, St Matthew: Borstal St. Church built 1878; parish created 1901 from Rochester St Margaret. Original registers from 1879.
- St Andrew: Mission church, Cossack St. Built 1889. Original registers from 1890.
- Congregational: Star Hill. (1856). No information on registers.
- Congregational: Vines Crow Lane. (1854). No information on registers.
- Presbyterian: Original registers from 1700.
- Presbyterian: Original registers from 1796.
- Wesleyan: Bethel. Original registers from 1796.
Society of Friends (Quaker)
- Society of Friends (Quaker): Original registers from 1674.
- Jewish: High St. (c.1750). No information on registers.