The 1841 population was 2,472
"Brenchley is a village and parish in the lathe of Aylesford, and with Horsmonden gives name to the hundred in which it is located; the village, situated about four miles north from Lamberhurst, is a place of consequence only in an agricultural point of view. The parish is extensive, and contains besides its own village, the hamlet of Matfield, about a mile and a half distant, where there is a chapel for dissenters. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a fine old structure of stone, with a lofty square tower; the benefice is a vicarage, in the presentation of the Courthope family." Pigot's Directory.
Brenchley fell within the Hundred of Brenchley & Horsmonden. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Tonbridge.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, PCC 1846-57.
Brenchley included the hamlets of Paddock Wood and Matfield.
See NWKFHS publications West Kent Sources and School Records for further information.
For project purposes this parish is covered by Kent FHS.
Church and Chapels (pre 1910)
- Baptist: Matfield chapel. (1811). No information on registers
- Methodist: Brenchley. (1847). Original registers from 1899.
- Methodist: Paddock Wood. (1888). No information on registers