The 1841 population was 2,310
Eltham fell within the Hundred of Blackheath. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Lewisham.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, PCC 1846-57.
Eltham included the hamlet of Mottingham (separate civil parish 1866) and part of Shooters Hill.
See NWKFHS publications West Kent Sources and School Records for further information.
Church and Chapels (pre 1910)
Church of England cont.
- Shooters Hill, Christ Church: Church built 1855-6; parish created 1865 from Plumstead, Eltham, Woolwich. Original registers from 1856.
- St Peter: Courtland Ave. Church built 1870-1, closed 1937, demolished 1961. Parish created 1871 from Eltham St John, united 1960 with Lee The Good Shepherd. Original registers from 1871.
- St Mary: High St. Church built 1890, superseded by Christchurch 1912. Original registers from 1871.
- Congregational: High St. (1839). No information on registers.
- Congregational: Mission, Foots Cray Rd, New Eltham. (1875-1930). No information on registers.
- Congregational: Well Hall Rd. (1867-1935 demolished). No information on registers.
- Bible Christian: Elizabeth Terrace. (1841-81). No information on registers.
- Bible Christian: Park Place. (1881-c.1961). No information on registers.