The 1841 population was 7,881
Gillingham fell within the Hundred of Chatham & Gillingham. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Medway.
Probate Jurisdiction was Shoreham -1845, Rochester 1846-57.
Gillingham included the settlements of Brompton and Lidsing.
See NWKFHS publications West Kent Sources and School Records for further information.
For project purposes this parish is covered by Kent FHS.
Church and Chapels (pre 1910)
Church of England cont.
- Old Brompton, Holy Trinity: Church built 1848, demolished c1955; parish created 1847 from Gillingham St Mary & Chatham St. Mary. Original registers from 1848.
- New Brompton, St Mark: Canterbury St. Church built 1864-6, replacing wood building (1862); parish created 1863 from Gillingham St Mary. Original registers from 1863.
- New Brompton, St Barnabas: Nelson Rd. Church built 1889-90, succeeding mission of 1886; parish created 1892 from Gillingham St Mary & New Brompton St Mark. Original registers from 1873.
- Lidsing: Chapelry within Gillingham St Mary. Original registers from 1840.
- Old Brompton, St Paulinus: Manor St. (1793). Original registers from1893.
- Wesleyan: Nelson St. (1827). Original registers from 1816.
- Wesleyan: Manner St, Brompton. Original registers from 1796.