The 1841 population was 6,414
Gravesend fell within the Hundred of Toltingtrough. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Gravesend & Milton.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester.
The town of Gravesend extended into Milton parish, which was united to it in 1915.
Denton parish was also incorporated into Gravesend in 1935.
See NWKFHS publications West Kent Sources and School Records for further information.
For project purposes this parish is covered by Kent FHS.
Church and Chapels (pre 1910)
- Independent: Princes St. Original registers from 1762.
- Congregational: Princes St. (1689, 1717-1953, demolished 1961). Original registers from 1837.
- Methodist: Milton St. (1771). No information on registers.
- Primitive Methodist: Darnley St. Original registers from 1863.
- Salvation Army: New Rd. Built 1883, demolished 1968. No information on registers.