Greenwich

OS Grid Reference: TQ3877
The 1841 population was 29,755

Administrative Units

Greenwich fell within the Hundred of Blackheath. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Greenwich.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, PCC 1846-57.

See NWKFHS publications West Kent Sources and School Records for further information.

For project purposes this parish also covered by Woolwich & District FHS.

Greenwich Map North West Kent Family History Society
Greenwich Map North West Kent Family History Society

Census Publications

  • 1851 Name Index and Page Images published on CD-Rom as part of CD6 (Greenwich parish).
  • 1851 Name Index (only) published on microfiche as part of Volume VII (Greenwich parish).


For ordering details see Census CD-ROMs on the Publication List page.

Church and Chapels (pre 1910)

Greenwich, St Alphege, Greenwich High Rd

St Alphege: Greenwich High Rd. (map ref A).
Church of England - Ancient Parish Church.

Rebuilt 1711-30.

Original Registers

These date from 1615.
St Alphege - Nov 1997
St Alphege Greenwich North West Kent Family History Society

Greenwich, St Paul, Devonshire Drive

St Paul: Devonshire Drive. (map ref C).
Church built 1865-6, declared redundant 1984, now Seventh-Day Adventist church; parish created 1864 from Greenwich St Alphege.

Original Registers

These date from 1864.
St Paul - Aug 2006
St Paul Greeenwich North West Kent Family History Society

Westcombe Park, St George

St George: Kirkside Rd. (map ref E).
Church built 1890-91; parish created 1892 from Christ Church.

Original Registers

These date from 1892.
St George - Aug 2006
St GeorgeGreeenwich North West Kent Family History Society

Blackheath, St John the Evangelist, St Johns Park

St John the Evangelist: St Johns Park. (map ref H).
Church built 1852-3; parish created 1854 from greenwich St Alphege.

Original Registers

These date from 1868.
St John the Evangelist - Aug 2006
St John the Evangelist Blackheath Greenwich North West Kent Family History Society

Roman Catholic: Greenwich, Our Ladye Star of the Sea, Crooms Hill

(1792). Church (re?)built 1851.

Original Registers

These date from 1793.
Our Ladye Star of the Sea - Aug 2006
Our Ladye Star of the Sea Greenwich North West Kent Family History Society

Baptist: Greenwich, Greenwich South St

Church built 1871-2.
Aug 2006
Baptist Greenwich North West Kent Family History Society

Church of England cont.

  • St Mary: King William Walk. Church built 1823 as chapel of ease to St Alphege. Closed 1919 and demolished 1936. No separate registers
  • Christ Church: Trafalgar Rd. (map ref B) Church built 1846-48; parish created 1840 from Greenwich St Alphege. Original registers from 1868. Parish Register transcript published by Rob Cottrell (Microfiche Ref. C1,C2) See Thames & Medway Riverside Parish Register Publications.
  • St Peter: Bridge St. (map ref D) Church built 1866, bombed 1941, demolished 1955; parish created 1867 from Greenwich St Paul, merged with St Alphege 1951. Original registers from 1866. Parish Register transcript published by Rob Cottrell (Microfiche Ref. C71) See Thames & Medway Riverside Parish Register Publications.
  • St Andrew with St Michael: Dreadnought St. (map ref F) Church built 1900-02, closed 1965, demolished c1986; parish created from Greenwich Christchurch 1902. Original registers from 1872. Parish Register transcript published by Rob Cottrell (Microfiche Ref. C61) See Thames & Medway Riverside Parish Register Publications.
  • Blackheath, Holy Trinity: Blackheath Hill. (map ref G) Church built 1839, now demolished; parish created 1849, refounded 1858 from Greenwich St Alphege. Original registers from 1868.
  • Emmanuel: Mission church. Original registers from 1888.
  • St Andrew: Mission church. (Predecessor of St Andrew with St Michael?). Original registers from 1880.
  • Royal Naval Asylum: Original registers from 1822.

Roman Catholic cont.

  • St Joseph: Pelton Rd. Church built 1881. Original registers from 1906.

Independent/Congregational

  • Independent: Greenwich Rd. (1776). Original registers from 1777.
  • Independent: Maze Hill chapel, formerly Bethel. (1823). Original registers from 1811.

Wesleyan

  • Wesleyan: George St. (1816). Original registers from 1821.
  • Wesleyan: London St. Original registers from 1865.
  • Wesleyan: Royal Hospital and School. Original registers from 1821.