The 1841 population was 2,816
For project purposes this parish is also covered by Woolwich & District FHS.
Plumstead fell within the Hundred of Little & Lessness. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Lewisham -1868, Woolwich 1868-.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, PCC 1846-57.
Plumstead included parts of Shooters Hill and Abbey Wood.
See NWKFHS publications West Kent Sources and School Records for further information.
Church and Chapels (pre 1910)
Church of England cont.
- St Margaret: Vicarage Rd. (Map ref B). Church built 1858-9, demolished 1974; parish created from St Nicholas. Original registers from 1859.
- All Saints: Shooters Hill, Ripon Rd. (Map ref C). Church built 1873-5, bombed 1944, rebuilt 1956; parish created 1876 from Plumstead. Original registers from 1876.
- St John the Baptist: Earl Rise/Robert St. (Map ref E). Church built 1883-4, destroyed 1941, demolished 1959; parish created 1885 from Plumstead St Nicholas, united 1953 with St James. Original registers from1882.
- St Paul: Hector St, (Map ref F). Church built 1901, became St Patrick R/Catholic 1968; parish created 1902 (from St Nicholas?). Original registers from1901.
- St Mark: Plumstead Common, Old Mill Rd. Church built 1901, demolished 1972; parish created 1903 from St Nicholas & St Margaret (too late to be shown on map), abolished 1968. Original registers from 1897.
- St Patrick: Griffin Rd. Church built 1893, converted to school hall 1970; succeeded by redundant St Pauls Cof E church (Hector St). Original registers from 1893.
- Baptist: Conduit Rd. (1865-1969). No information on registers.
- Baptist: Plumstead Tabernacle, Maxey Rd. (1861-1930 demolished). No information on registers.
- Baptist: Union Church, Park Rd. (1885-1954). No information on registers.