The 1841 population was 25,785
Woolwich fell within the Hundred of Blackheath. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Greenwich-1868, Woolwich 1868-.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, London 18746-1857.
North Woolwich comprised two small detached parts of the parish, in Kent but north of the Thames (these were transferred to Greater London in 1965).
See NWKFHS publications West Kent Sources and School Records for further information.
For project purposes this parish is also covered by Woolwich & District FHS.
Church and Chapels (pre 1910)
Church of England cont.
- St John the Evangelist: Wellington St. (map ref B) Church built 1845, demolished 1948; separate parish created 1869 from Woolwich St Mary, abolished 1939.. Original registers from 1869.
- St Michael & All Angels: Borgard Rd. (map ref C) Church built 1875; parish created 1879 from Woolwich St Mary. No information on registers
- Holy Trinity: Rope Walk / Beresford Square. (map ref D) Built 1833 as Trinity Episcopal Chapel; chapel of ease 1850, closed 1960 & demolished 1962; parish created 1881 from Woolwich St. Mary, abolished 1953. Original registers from 1881.
- St Saviour: Mission church. Original registers from 1873.
- St Anne: Mission church, Ritter St. Original registers from 1904.
- Royal Arsenal and Dockyard Chapel: (1857). Original registers from 1873.
- St George Garrison Church: Church built 1863, destroyed 1944. No information on registers.
- St Peter: New Rd. (1815) Church (re?)built 1842-3. Original registers from 1816.
- Baptist: Enon Chapel. (1754). Original registers from 1786.
- Baptist: Queen St. (1788). Original registers from 1781.
- Baptist: Carmel, Anglesea Rd. (1857-1908 closed). No information on registers.
- Baptist: Parsons Hill. (1857-1901 sold). No information on registers.
- Independent: Salem Chapel, Powis St. Original registers from 1796.
- Independent: Union Chapel, Church St. Original registers from 1819.
- Congregational: Rectory Place. (1858). No information on registers.
- Presbyterian: New Rd. (1842). No information on registers.
- Presbyterian: St Andrew, Anglesea Hill. Founded 1872, sold 1924. No information on registers.
- Wesleyan: William St. (1816). Original registers from 1800.
- Wesleyan: Beresford St. (1840-99 sold). No information on registers.
- Wesleyan: Sand St. (1844-82) later Baptist. No information on registers.
- Wesleyan: Shooters Hill Chapel, Red Lion Lane. (1873-1902). No information on registers.
- Wesleyan: Sutcliffe Rd. (1885-?). No information on registers.
- Scots Church: Original registers from 1797. Parish Register transcript published by Rob Cottrell (Microfiche Ref. C37) See Thames & Medway Riverside Parish Register Publications.
- Bible Christian: Zion, Upper Market St. (1828-87). No information on registers.